Bill Gaar is an advocate and litigator for his business clients and employer clients, providing practical solutions to everyday concerns and protecting his clients’ rights in state and federal court, private arbitration and mediation, and before state and federal agencies. Well versed in all areas of employment and commercial/consumer law, he has assisted every size of organization.
Bill obtained his Juris Doctorate degree from Northwestern School of Law Lewis and Clark College, and was nominated for the Cornelius Honor Society for superior scholarship, leadership and contributions to the law school community. A native of Kansas, Bill earned his bachelor’s degree in English from Kansas State University. In 1989 he was admitted to the Oregon State Bar, and in 1998 he became a member of the Washington State Bar.
Bill is licensed to practice before the US District Court of Oregon and the Western District of Washington. Bill is the current chair of the Litigation Practice Group at Buckley Law. Bill is a frequent speaker and author on employment law topics and has provided seminars and trainings for his business clients. Bill recently received his certificate as a senior professional in human resources from the Society of Human Resource Professionals. Bill volunteers as Chair of the City of Lake Oswego Planning Commission and serves on the City of Lake Oswego’s Citizen Advisory Committee for Comprehensive Plan Update. Bill is also an Oregon Ballet Theatre Board member and is a Cadre member of the Oregon Wine Brotherhood.
Primary Areas of Practice
- Representation of clients in all areas of employment matters in state/federal courts and before state and federal agencies.
- General employment counsel for all types and sizes of business in daily human resource management as well as production of key employee agreements and compensation packages for sales and other employees.
- Representation of automobile dealerships and both manufactured housing dealerships and manufacturers in all areas of consumer and commercial law and litigation.
- Public employment law providing employment advice to local municipalities.
- Representing, drafting, and negotiating trade secret/confidentiality and non-competition agreements as well as providing litigation services for the enforcement of such agreements to protect business assets.