Richard A. Uffelman
Dick Uffelman focuses his transaction and litigation practices in the areas of taxation, estate planning and administration, real estate, and general business law. Dick has practiced law for nearly 50 years and represents a number of investors, high net worth individuals, and a variety of corporate clients. He is one of the few attorneys in the state licensed to practice in the tribal courts on the Warm Springs Reservation.
His first years of practice were spent as an Assistant Attorney General in the Tax Division of the Oregon State Department of Justice, where he litigated cases in the various Circuit Courts, the Oregon Tax Court, the Oregon Court of Appeals and the Oregon Supreme Court. Dick’s appellate successes include a landmark foreclosure case in the Oregon Court of Appeals, and a landmark tax case in the Oregon Supreme Court. He has been in private practice in the Portland area since 1971.
Dick’s current case load includes foreclosures, a million dollar business dispute in state court, mortgage litigation in both state and federal courts, a number of active probate and trust administration files, condominium litigation in state court, tax planning for several large estates, a multi-state will contest, and a case currently set for trial in the U.S. Tax Court and a case pending before the Oregon Court of Appeals. His recently concluded cases include litigation in the Oregon Tax Court and the U.S. Tax Court, several Oregon Circuit Court cases, litigation in the Bankruptcy Court, a contested conservatorship, structuring a land partition agreement, work on a business liquidation, dealing with Uniform Commercial Code issues, and counseling the investors in an emerging business.
In his leisure time, Dick enjoys grandchildren, gardening, fishing and hunting.
Primary Areas of Practice
- Debtor & Creditor Law: Business bankruptcy representation, commercial collections
- Real estate: Acquisitions & Sales, Realtors Representation, Financing, Boundary Disputes, Foreclosures and Short Sales, Leasing & Property Management, 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges, Land Use and Zoning, Construction Liens
- Estate planning: Wills and Trusts, Probate: Estate and Trust Administration, Conservatorships and Guardianships
- Corporate & Business Transactions: Business Entity Formations and Liquidations, Tax Planning & Representation, Business Planning, Asset Sales & Acquisitions
- Civil Litigation: Foreclosure Litigation, Tax Litigation, Real Property Litigation, Probate, Will & Trust Litigation, Business Litigation, & Bankruptcy Litigation
Professional & Community Activities
Director, the Northwest Real Estate Investors Association
Member,Oregon State Bar Fee Arbitration Panel
Past-president, Metropolitan Garden Club of Portland
Publications & Presentations
Presenter, Various real estate seminars and instruction, Lawyers Title
Author & Speaker, Numerous continuing education articles and seminars for National Business Institute
Admitted to Practice
Oregon State Courts
United States Tax Court
U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
New York University, Master of Laws in Taxation degree (1967)
Willamette University School of Law, Juris Doctorate degree (1966)
Lewis and Clark College, Bachelors of Arts degree (1963)